Kids Go Gardening - how to sow big seeds
Beans, pumpkins, sweet peas, sunflowers
- Big seeds are planted deeper than little seeds (below the soil surface).
- Gather up little yoghurt containers (or similar).
- Punch a few small holes in the base of each.
- Fill with seed raising mix.
- Water lightly to moisten mix, allow to drain.
- Use a pencil to make a hole in the potting mix.
- Push a seed into mix, 2 - 3cm deep.
- Cover over and press down gently.
- Keep moist (not wet) until seed germinates.
- When plant is about 10cm high, plant in the garden.
: - Soften hard seeds like peas and beans by placing between moist handy towels overnight, this will help them germinate and grow faster.