Kids Go Gardening - how to sow little seeds
Tomatoes, spinach, snapdragons, petunias
- Little seeds are planted on the soil surface.
- Fill trays with seed raising mix.
- Use a piece of wood to press down mix and compact it.
- Water lightly to moisten mix, allow to drain.
- Scatter seed evenly over surface of mix.
- Use a spoon to scatter seed, or mix seed with sand to help spread it evenly.
- Cover with thin layer of seed raising mix and label seeds.
- Do not cover very fine seeds.
- Water with fine mist spray to moisten top layer.
- Cover trays with newspaper and plastic wrap.
- Place trays in warm, well lit area or in a cloche.
- Check every day, remove newspaper and wrap once seeds germinate.
- Harden off seedlings once they are growing strongly.
- Place in cool area with about 1/2 day's shade.
- Water as required to keep seedlings moist but not wet .
- Transplant seedlings once second set of true leaves appear.
- The first set of leaves are called cotyledons, the second set of leaves are true leaves.
- Transplant seedlings to single pots to grow on or into a well prepared garden bed.