Grow salad from seed
Gardeners who grow their own, especially if they
do so from seed, get the best choice of salad
greens that not only taste great, but contain high
levels of fibre, vitamins and antioxidants.
- Sow seeds directly into warm crumbly garden soil, or in trays of seed raising mix.
- Cover with fine soil or seed raising mix and scatter snail bait.
- Keep the soil just moist until seeds germinate (7 to 10 days).
- Thin to leave the strongest seedlings (and eat the thinnings) or transplant carefully to give plants room to grow.
- For a continuous supply, make successive sowings every 3 to 4 weeks.